Monday, December 3, 2012

Toy cameras

My dad is really into photography, so I decided to make him a camera-themed shadowbox for Father's Day this year. Of course I didn't take a picture of it, that would make too much sense.

I briefly thought about using one of my old thrift store cameras to put in the shadow box, but it was a bit too big. Then I figured that I'd make one from scratch because I like to pretend I'm like other people.

Tim Holtz has great shadowboxes with removable compartments. Since I wasn't using the extras in this project, I took one of the most camera-shaped ones and used that for the base. I used a wooden heart for the lens, and then used some of the grunge paper pieces for the flash. I inked each piece, and used
Rock Candy Distressed Crackle Paint, which is really rad because it dries clear so it is like you are looking into a beautiful lagoon of full of dreams. Way better than any other distressing/crackling paint I've used.

I used vintage buttons for the film winder and viewer window. It is ok to consider all buttons vintage if you don't know the origin. You are probably correct, but if you are not no one will know. So that's cool.

I loved how the camera came out so when I got back from vacay I made a bunch more. Here is a convenient Etsy link so you can purchase one for all decorating needs. The one below is my fav, but not so much my fav that I wouldn't sell it. I'm not dumb.



No comments:

Post a Comment