Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Detachment

I am a HUGE fan of inspirational teacher movies. Even bad ones. Especially bad ones. On Netflix I came across a delightful sounding movie starring Adrian Brody called Detachment. Normally someone says Adrian Brody and I'm auto-in. So when I read the description I was double auto-in:

"When a substitute teacher takes a new assignment at an inner-city school, he finds himself becoming involved in the lives of his colleagues and students. At home, he houses a young prostitute and meditates on what happened to his mother."

Omg, so in! He makes a difference at school and at home? Yes! Plus he sounds like he's totally srs and broods about in moody lighting. Totally! Also inner-city schools really highlight the differences between middle and lower classes. Like Amazing Panda Adventure did for rich and poor pandas. You really learn a lot of truth.

Plus the title of the movie looks hand-written on the cover, which is usually how I know if it is an indie movie and it will be good.

So I snuggled on the couch with my embroidery and cats and vodka and watched Detachment.

NO. Just NO! It is not heartwarming. It is depressing as EFF. AS EFF. Do not watch it if you are sad even if it is only a little sad. The teachers are losing their minds, and not in a hijinksy way. And I'm not going to spoil but one person you're like "yeah girl" is like D:. I did that face IRL.

It's not a bad movie. I think Maria and I would have been like yeah if we'd seen it at the Laemmle Art-house. But I think you have to be prepared to watch. And not sad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment