Thursday, January 10, 2013

Axe Cop!

I don't know how this escaped my notice, but Axe Cop is going to be a TV show! I can't wait! It was announced in early  2012, and they released a clip in late 2012.

I learned about Axe Cop in a roundabout way. Chris has been collecting all the versions of Munchkin. He had most of the main versions he wanted, so I started looking at some of the others. Axe Cop was one of them, and when I read the description "Axe Cop is the hit webcomic written by Malachai Nicolle (age 5) and drawn by his brother Ethan (age 29)" I was in! I was worried it would be a little gimmicky or it would get old, but when I finally got my hands on Axe Cop: Volume 1  I could not stop laughing. It is literally the mind of an imaginative 5-year old brought to life. It's the funniest thing I've read in so so long. What makes it so great is the small details that an adult couldn't come up with. And then the M Night twists that happen just because they do. No need to go back and foreshadow. Characters die just because and are revived just because the next page later. It is a joyous comic to read.


Axe Cop and Dinosaur Soldier in my favorite outfit.


When Chris sent me a link to this article about Fox adding it to their upcoming late-night animation block, I was a little skeptical at first because I didn't know how well it would translate from print to screen. However once I watched the Ask Axe Cop Halloween clip  my fears were quelled:



First of all: NICK. OFFERMAN. as Axe Cop. Yes x infinity. I wouldn't have gone that way because Axe Cop gets very emotional, and it's hard to picture Nick Offerman as anything but the even-keeled Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec (except when it comes to BBQing or woodworking maybe). But now I don't think it could be anyone else. Also the dialogue and wording is kept in line with the comic, and the delivery is in the tone I'd imagine. The series will also feature Megan Mullaly and Patton Oswalt, so that sounds pretty sweet.

We have to wait until Summer for this, but hopefully we'll get more clips and MORE AXE COP!

No comments:

Post a Comment